The McMenemy Family - The Story

Letters of Thomas
John's Letter
Charles' Letter

Where I have found relevant birth certificates or marriage certificates, I have provided a link which will display a transcript of the certificate. (Watch for the word "born" or "married" being indicated as a link).


Can you fill in any further details?

To comment or to  provide additional information, please email me using the link below.

Andy McMenemy

Page views since 12th Sept. 2004:

Hit Counter


History Outline Tree Census Gallery

First Generation

1 James McMenemy b: Abt. 1799 d: Bef. 1866 Occupation: Tailor
. +Helen Gallowglay b: Abt. 1800 m: Bef. 1824 d: Bef. 1866
... 2 Thomas McMenemy b: August 1827 in Gorbals, Renfrew
...... +Bridget Reilly b: Abt. 1843 in Ireland


James McMenemy and Helen Gallowglay

The earliest generation that we have found is that of James McMenemy and his wife Helen. We pick them up in the early 1800s in central Glasgow. I cannot determine much of the history of James and Helen. So far I have been unable to locate any record of their births, nor where they came from. The archivist at the Archdiocese of Glasgow has suggested they may have come to Glasgow from Ireland at the turn of the century after the failure of the United Ireland rebellion. (This was a period of great influx into Glasgow from Ireland).

James was a tailor by trade. Helenís maiden name was Gallowglay. This is another Gaelic name. Gallowglas denotes a mercenary soldier and in Irish history it especially referred to mercenaries brought over from Scotland. In Gaelic it is GallÝglach (slash indicates accent on the "o"). Gall = foreign ōglach = volunteer. The Gallogly surname is from the same root and I think it is fairly rare. I know it occurs in counties Donegal and Leitrim in clusters. There are approx. twenty entries for this surname in the phone book. Interestingly, Gallowglay is a branch of the MacDonald clan.

Second Generation

Descendants of Thomas McMenemy

1 Thomas McMenemy b: August 1827 in Gorbals, Renfrew
. +Bridget Reilly b: Abt. 1843 in Ireland
... 2 Thomas McMenemy b: 28 July 1868
...... +Sophia Bridget Kane b: 6 February 1869 in Dunleer, Louth, Ire
... 2 Flora McMenemy b: 15 August 1870
... 2 James McMenemy b: 16 May 1873 i
... 2 John McMenemy b: 6 June 1875
... 2 Jessie Agatha McMenemy b: 6 June 1877


Thomas McMenemy (1824-1896) and Bridget Reilly (1843-1896)

In 1824 George IV was on the throne, gas lights were first installed in the streets, the first penal colony was opened in Australia, and Beethovenís ninth symphony was first performed. The first passenger trains were still a year away, Stephensonís "Rocket" was five years away. It was against this backdrop that Thomas McMenemy was born in the Parish of Barony, Glasgow in August 1824, the son of James and Helen McMenemy. Little is known of his early years, what sort of education he received, or whether he had any brothers or sisters.

When he completed any formal schooling he became a tailor, like his father before him.

Thomas McMenemy (1828).jpg (5131 bytes)(Thomas McMenemy 1824-1896)

On the 27th August 1844, at the age of 20, Thomas went across to Edinburgh and enlisted as a soldier in the East India Company. His period of service was recorded as "unlimited". At the time he was described as 5 feet 6 inches tall, of fresh complexion, with hazel eyes and dark brown hair.

After his attestation, Thomas was assigned to an infantry battalion in the Presidency of Bombay. On 12th October he boarded the "Duchess of Northumberland" and set sail for India. It was a long voyage in those days and it was 15th March before the ship arrived in Bombay.

By 1857, the time of the Indian Mutiny, Thomas was a Corporal in 5 Company, the 2nd Bombay European Regiment based at Camp Kurrachee.

After the Indian Mutiny, the East India Company declined in its influence and by the late 1860s had ceased to exist. Members of its militia either retired or transferred to the regular British Army. October 14th, 1861 Thomas transferred to the Royal Artillery as a gunner.

He remained in the Royal Artillery until applying for his discharge at Sheerness on March 13th 1865. His discharge papers record his character "conduct has been exemplary and he is in possession of Four Good Conduct Badges". During his 22Ĺ years of service he wasnít a goody-goody, however. His discharge papers record that he was entered in the Regimental Defaulters Book five times over the years.

On his discharge Thomas returned to Glasgow. The City Improvement Trust had set about the systematic destruction of slum properties. A reservoir was built for water from Loch Katrine, reducing the death toll from cholera during the recent epidemic from thousands to just fifty-three. The City had acquired powers to prevent overcrowding in working class homes and appointed a Medical Health Officer to tackle insanitary conditions. Glasgow had become "the second city of the Empire".

Thomas took a job as a tailorís cutter, and lived at 132 Trongate, in the centre of Glasgow. He met Bridget Reilly, an Irish girl. She was living nearby at 142 Trongate and working as a dressmaker.

On 6th September 1866 they married at St Andrewís Chapel in Great Clyde Street.

By 1870, Thomas had changed job and was working as a Publisherís Timekeeper. Bridget continued to work as a dressmaker.

By 1890, Thomas and Bridget were living at 135 Parsonís Street. On 7th September 1898, one month before his first grandchild was born, Thomas died. He had been suffering from acute gastric catarrh for a month, and jaundice for three weeks, he finally died of exhaustion. This was obviously too much for Bridget who died two weeks later from uraemia and convulsions. Their daughter Flora was the witness for both deaths. Thomas and Bridget are buried in St Kentigernís Cemetery, Lambshill.

Third Generation

Thomas and Bridget set up home at 168 Gallowgate in the Calton District of Glasgow. It was here that on 28th July 1868, their first son Thomas was born.

In the next couple of years they moved to 109 Parsonís Street. On 15th August 1870 Flora was born.

James was born three years later on 16th May 1873.

On 6th June 1875, another son, John was born. Despite the birth of John, 1875 was marred by the tragic death from pulmonary tuberculosis of the 2 year old James.

In 1877, Jessie Agatha was born on 6th June. She was the last of Thomas and Bridgetís children.

In 1888, tragedy struck the family once more. Eleven year old Jessie was struck down with acute peritonitis and died at 36 McAslin Street, Glasgow.

Thomas McMenemy (1868-1917)

By 1881, a twelve year old Thomas was at work as a clerk bookmaker. In the 1890s (probably 1896), Thomas moved to London. It was this same year, at the age of 28, that Thomas married an Irish girl, Sophia Bridget Kane, at St Mungoís Chapel Glasgow on 26th December 1896. Thomas had been living at 15 Burton Crescent, London WC and working as a cashier. Sophia, who was 25, was working as a Dressmaker and living at 135 Parson Street, Glasgow.

Thomas McMenemy (1868).jpg (7422 bytes)(Thomas McMenemy 1868-1917)

Sophia was one of five daughters of Thomas Kane and Mary Ann Temple. Thomas had been born in Ireland in 1838, and was a school teacher. I have few details of Thomas or Mary Ann. Their other daughters were Margaret, Charlotte, Mary-Ann and Rose. Charlotte married a Jack Hubbard. Mary-Ann married a man named Guiness. Margaret went to live at Westcliffe-on-Sea and worked for John Lewis. Rose married Harry Wood and had a daughter Nora.

Thomas and Sophia set up home in London and started a family. At some point, Sophia's father probably came to live with them. He died in December 1909.

At the breakout of the First World War, Thomas and Sophia were living at 8 Salisbury House, Highbury Corner. Thomas was working as an Accountant.

He joined the Army Services Corps in 1915, starting off in Aldershot. As a Private (54/145494) he was posted to the 1st Base, Motor Transport Depot in Rouen as part of the British Expeditionary Force. During his time in the service he wrote several letters to his children. It was obvious that as 1916 drew to a close many of his colleagues were travelling home on leave and he was eager for his turn to come. The last surviving letter from Thomas shows that he spent some time at home with the family in the late Autumn of 1916, but was soon back on duty at the MT Depot.

Thomas was taken ill in January 1917 and admitted to 8 General Hospital, Rouen. This was obviously a worrying time for the family and several letters were written to Sophia by his officer to keep her informed. A week later, 17th January 1917, Thomas was dead. He had died of a cerebral haemorrhage. He was 48. His funeral was held on Friday January 19th. One of his colleagues, Corporal J.J. Smith, wrote:

"The funeral which took place yesterday shall live with me as long as memory lasts. No handsome hearse, no silk hats, no frock coats were to be seen, but a large number of men in khaki, together with two ladies representing the YMCA along with the minister there, & a party of French people with hearts of loving sympathy paid their last respects to your dear husband & their dear comrade. The priest from Rouen Cathedral with two boys headed the procession, then came the firing party, and alongside the hearse walked the underbearers, all being office colleagues of the same religion as himself. The coffin was covered by the Union Jack. Behind the hearse came the mourners, Lieut Burbidge & Capt Clayton (the Regimental Chaplain) in front. As we walked over the snow covered ground from the hospital to the churchyard, a distance of about ĺ of a mile there was not a murmur, all was silent, everyone was too full to speak, for it was the funeral of a loved & greatly admired gentleman. Three volleys were fired over his grave & the "Last Post" sounded. The service was conducted by the priest of Rouen Cathedral in three languages - French, Latin, & English. At the conclusion of the service at the graveside the priest spoke for nearly ten minutes on the life of the hero who had just passed away. He said that Mr McMenemy had done what he came into this world to do - his duty. There was a great need for duty in this world & Mr McMenemy had used all the powers he possessed to meet that need. He died as he lived - a Christian."

Thomas was buried in Plot 2, Row C, Grave 9 in the cemetery at the Boisguillaume Communal Cemetery, Seine-Maritime.

Sophia lived on until November 1948, finally dying at 8, Woodridings Close, Harrow, aged 79. Cause of death was registered as Acute Cardiac Failure and Senility.

Flora McMenemy (1870-1924)

Flora stayed in Glasgow. She was a small woman with a slight hump to her back. She became housekeeper to her brother John. She died on September 16th, 1924 at St Agnesí Presbytery, Lambshill.

John McMenemy (1875-1936)

John grew up in Glasgow. He received his early education at St Mungoís Academy, he started his ecclesiastical training at Blairs College. From there he went to Petit Seminaire de Notre Dame des Champs, Paris, in 1892 and then on to The Scots College in Valladolid in Spain where he was ordained in 1899 by the auxiliary Bishop.

He returned to Scotland as curate at St Patrickís, Anderston, where he remained for eight years. This enormous parish gave scope to his abounding zeal. For the following seven years he was pastor at St Maryís Star of the Sea at Largs. Whilst there he opened the chapel at Wemyss Bay. He was then placed in charge at St Johnís, Stevenston. After 15 months he was promoted to Parish Priest of the important city parish of St Agnes, Lambshill where he stayed for eleven years. Finally he was transferred to the Holy Family Church at Mossend. Whilst there he carried through several important schemes for the improvement of the church, including the erection of new altars. The marked improvement in the church property and effectiveness of the various Societies remained a monument to his worth.

Though his brother Thomas had died, John remained in close contact with his family. His nephews and nieces visited him in Scotland and he exchanged letters with Sophia, his sister-in-law. One such letter survives and a transcript available by following this link.

During his final years at Mossend he suffered from "Angina Pectoris", which he kept as a secret, using it as a spur to greater usefulness and sanctity. He died suddenly on 13th December 1936. His funeral saw "a great gathering of clergy. The Requiem was sung by his nephew Fr. Edward McMenemy and the funeral took place at St Kentigernís" where he was buried alongside his mother and father.

Fourth Generation

Thomas and Sarahís first child, Thomas John Temple was born in October 1898. Thomas was working as a Hardware Merchants Cashier at the time, and the family home was 29, Cathcart Hill, Islington.

At the end of May 1900, baby Sophia Mary was born, but tragically, only lived for 12 days.

In 1902 a further child was born. Unfortunately, John Vincent only survived 1 day.

Aileen was born in 1901.

Charles Edward was born in 1904. At the age of eight, he went away to St Edmundís Seminary at Ware, eventually being ordained and spending his life as a priest.

Mary Eugenie was born in December 1906. Thomas was working as a Commercial Clerk. The family was living at 6, Harberton Road, Islington.

Thomas John Temple McMenemy (1898-1979) & Florence Victoria McDonald (1897-1985)

During the Great War, it is believed that Thomas served in the Royal Army Air Corps. This is an area that I am still researching, and hope to fill in more details at a later date. During the Second World War, Tom was not eligible for service.

1920, Thomas J T McMenemy (1898).jpg (4517 bytes)(Thomas John Temple McMenemy 1898-1979)

Tom was living at 8 Salisbury House, Highbury Corner, Islington and working as a shipping clerk when he married Florence Victoria McDonald. They married on 6th June 1925 at the Church of the Sacred Heart, Islington. The ceremony was conducted by Fr. John McMenemy, Tomís uncle.

By 1937 Tom was working for Connolly Bros. as an Export Clerk and the family were living at 40 Melbourne Avenue, Palmers Green.

Tom was long associated with the Knights of St Columba. During this time he was selected to the office of Supreme Knight. "His dignity, charm and complete earnestness of endeavour have won him the affection and respect of all members of the K.S.C"

Tom was one of the few people honoured with papal recognition. Pope Pious XII conferred the honour "Knight of St Gregory".

In 1959 when son Johnís wife Eileen died suddenly, Tom and Flo did not hesitate to move from their home in Oakwood to Harpenden where John lived. They moved in and helped with the children, Andrew (7) and Jane (4). Obviously, their roots were in North London so in 1961 they sold their house in Oakwood, and John sold his house in Harpenden and they jointly bought 20 Freston Gardens in Cockfosters.

Living in Cockfosters made life easier. The family and friends were nearby, and the local Underground Station made commuting to Connollyís a simple matter.

Johnís health deteriorated and the task of raising Jane and Andrew fell more squarely on Tom and Flo. In January 1965, John passed away.

In September 1965 Andrew moved away and joined the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, but Tom and Flo continued to raise Jane. Andrew returned in 1969, having decided that he did not have a religious vocation.

Tom and Flo were active members of the local parish, Vita et Pax. As years went by, a Parish Council was formed, and it goes without saying that Tom was closely involved and served a term as Chairman.

Tom died on March 28th, 1979.

Aileen Cecilia McMenemy (1901-1994) & Ernest Gilland (1900-?)

Aileen worked as a secretary and was a diligent daughter. While her father was serving in France she wrote frequently, keeping him abreast of the family news. He replied regularly, and several of these letters have survived. It was evident from these letters that Aileen and her sister Mary would visit Scotland in the summer, staying with their uncle Father John, and aunt Flora. It was also evident from the letters that by 1916, she was already out at work, and highly regarded by her employer.

Aileen met Ernest Gilland, who had started as an office boy at a London firm of flag makers and shipsí chandlers. He was a hard worker and progressed well. During the First World War he served in the Royal Flying Corps.

From there he went to an insurance company where he would work for them during the day and do correspondence work at night. At weekends he would work at a bank. In 1923 Ernest entered the piano business with Aeolian Co, and in three years rose to assistant sales manager.

It was at about this time that Ernest and Aileen got married. They went to Liverpool where Ernest took a post as sales manager for James Smith & Son (a large music firm). They stayed in Liverpool for six years.

In 1936 Ernest joined Selfridges as a buyer and in 1939 he was named Sales Manager and Controller of Advertising and Publicity.

When Selfridges and Lewisís merged in 1951, he was made General Manager and Merchandise Director. In 1952, Ernest also became a Director of the Board at Lewisís, retaining his seat on the board at Selfridges, but relinquishing the active management of the store.

Aileen and Ernest had a dog called Mungo and lived at Park View, Hatch End. They moved to George Street Woburn during the early days of the Second World War, and after the war moved to 6 Courtney House, Mulberry Close, Hendon. Though Ernest played a little golf, their chief hobby was playing cards.

After Ernest died, Aileen moved to the south coast. She lived in East Preston (I believe it was a house called The White House, in Golden Acre), very close to the beach, though in her later years she lost her sight and eventually moved into more sheltered accommodation. She died in 1994.

Charles Edward McMenemy (1904-1976)

Charles Edward was always know in the family as Teddie. He was quite young when he left the family home to study at St Edmundís.

He was ordained at St Edmundís College, Ware on June 29th, 1929.

Father Teddie served as an army chaplain during the Second World War. Soon after the outbreak of hostilities he was serving in the thick mud of France, thankful for his recent purchase of gumboots. He was not the prolific writer that his father was, but one letter survives from his time in France. His "parish" was spread along a front of about one hundred miles, and was eighty miles deep. Visiting his flock forced him to learn how to drive.

He was billeted in a large private house with central heating and hot and cold running water which he obviously appreciated against the backdrop of cold, wet mud

In 1940 the troop ship Lancastria was bombed and sunk. The newspapers of the time picked up the story.

Extract from William Hickey column in the "Daily Express" (Thursday, August 15th 1940):

Hero in Orders

"Lists of those missing from the Lancastria have not yet been issued- 2 months after the sinking; I am sorry that I cannot check, from the War Office or the Red Cross, the name of the hero of the following episode, or if he survived.

Miss J Harding of Bromley, Kent, tells me the story thus:-

"... My brother, an RAF sergeant, was one of the airmen at the bottom of the ship when she was hit. The companionways were crammed with troops, and it seemed as though the men down below were doomed.

A sergeant-major, my brother and several others standing together were approached by an Army chaplain, who quietly told them to put their faith in God and follow him. He led them through the bottom of the ship to some kind of exit in the side, about 6 ft. above the water. Then he made them remove their heavy clothing before they jumped."

The sergeant-major could not swim, so the chaplain took off his own lifebelt and handed it to him with the words that he would not need it, for if God willed he could come through alive.

They jumped, and that was the last my brother saw of the chaplain. The sergeant-major was rescued with my brother... My brother joins with me in the heartfelt prayer that the chaplain was among the rescued."

Extract from William Hickey column in the "Daily Express" (Monday, August 19th 1940):

Hero Named

The chaplain whose heroism aboard the sinking Lancastria I described the other day has been Identified.

He is Fr. Charles McMenemy formerly Roman Catholic chaplain at Wormwood Scrubs prison.

He is a fine athlete, a rugger-player and swimmer. The man he gave his lifebelt to was a non-swimmer. "I knew I should be good for an hour in the water," he says. A boat picked him up when he had been swimming for about three-quarters of an hour.

He is now with an AA regiment in the North of England.

A further description of the story of the Lancastria is recorded by the Royal Pioneer Corps on their website. Near the bottom of the article is a collection of photos. The last photo of the survivors shows a clutch of men covered in oil; in the centre is a bare-chested man with a towel around his neck, to his left (the right of the photo) is chap with a cigarette, and immediately behind him is a chap who we believe to be Charles.

There is also a good collection of information (some of which we provided) on Fr Charles on the Lancastria Association Scotland website.

After the war he continued his pastoral work. In 1946 he became parish priest at the Church of the English Martyrs at Wembley Park. It was a small parish and he built it up to the point that the old wooden church was no longer adequate for the needs of the rapidly growing community. In 1963 it was decided that a new church should be built, however it was 1969 before the construction started. On July 8th, 1970 the first Mass was concelebrated in the new Church by Father Teddie and all the priests who had been ordained with him at St Edmundís College back in 1929. In May the following year Cardinal Heenan formerly opened and blessed the church.

The years of hard work and worries of running a parish took their toll. Father Teddie was unwell. On January 21st 1976, he collapsed and died while going on holiday to Edinburgh. When the news reached London, the parish was stunned. His funeral was held at his parish, concelebrated by more than a dozen priests and with the church full to overflowing.

Mary Eugenia McMenemy (1906-1941)

Mary was the youngest of the children. She was very attractive girl, but I know little about her. What is evident is that she was of a delicate disposition. Several of her fatherís letter inquire after her health, and ask what the doctor had said. A letter in 1936 from Father John, her uncle, inquired whether her pilgimage to Lourdes had helped.

On April 5th, 1941 at the age of 34 she was dead. Mary Eugenia was recorded as a spinster of no occupation and her cause of death was entered as tuberculosis.

Fifth Generation

For the fifth and subsequent generations are still carving their names on eternity. So I shall just outline the family members. Any additional information or stories would be welcomed.

When Tom and Flo first married they lived at 15 Ardilaun Road, Islington and their family soon came along. John Thomas Temple and Peter Edward (twins) were born prematurely in February 1926.

Mary Angela was born at the family home in Melbourne Avenue, on August 2nd, 1929.

James Michael was born September 23rd, 1937.

John Thomas Temple McMenemy (1926-1965) & Eileen Roe (1926-1959)

John and Peter left their school and were evacuated to the country during World War II. He and Peter went to St Michaelís at Hitchin.

John and Peter joined the Royal Navy, and immediately released into the reserve to attend university for a year. When they rejoined they were assigned to the Royal Canadian Navy. John did a tour of duty in Singapore.

John T McMenemy (1926).jpg (4474 bytes)(John Thomas Temple McMenemy 1926-1965)

John met Eileen Roe at the Greenwood Gate tennis club and they married on 14th May, 1951. At the time he was working as a Technical Assistant to a Leather Manufacturer (Connolly Brothers). He had been living at home at 40 Melbourne Avenue, Palmers Green. Eileen had been living at 42 Morton Way, Southgate. John and Eileen went to Paris for their honeymoon. On returning to England they moved into Eileenís parentsí home as they were away on a motoring holiday in Italy. They stayed there for several weeks until their apartment was ready for them. Eventually they moved into 5, Gower Mews Mansions, WC1.

In 1951 a son, Andrew was born; and three years later John Eileen had a daughter, Jane. The family moved out of London to 17 Mayfield Close, Harpenden, Herts. John took a job with Hubbards, a manufacturer of hat felt based in Luton, Beds. (Some 5 miles away).

John was diagnosed as having a tumour on the brain. After an operation and partial recovery John and Eileen went away to Nice in the South of France for recuperation. Subsequent to his operation, John still suffered from "turns" at random intervals. The continued throughout the rest of his life. The turns occurred without any warning, John would pause mid-sentence and collapse on his left side for several seconds. During this time he was in a trance-like state. However, the moment the seizure finished he would be able to pick up the sentence exactly where it was left.

In October 1959, Eileen collapsed in the kitchen of 17 Mayfield Close. She had been to the GP that morning for a check-up, as she was pregnant. All had seemed normal. An ambulance was called and she was taken to the local hospital. From there she was transferred to St Bartholomewís Hospital where she died the following morning. John was obviously devastated.

In 1961, John sold the house in Harpenden, and jointly bought a house at 20 Freston Gardens, Cockfosters. The house was next door to his cousin Bernard Murphy and his family. It was also within walking distance of the church, and as Johnís health prevented him from driving placed him strategically on the London underground.

Johnís seizures often resulted in injury. Andrew recalls that he saw John fall against a hot radiator and was unable to move him despite the fact that Johnís arm was visibly burning. On another occasion John collapsed against a small garden wall and cut his head quite deeply. Andrew recalls the fear he had when travelling on the tube with John, and how John used to stand so close to the edge of the tracks.

Eventually the turns got worse and John was re-admitted to hospital. The tumour had returned. He underwent surgery at St Bartholomewís, but though he survived, he never recovered. He spent the last few months of 1964 in hospital

John died peacefully in St Bartholomewís Hospital, Smithfield on January 5th 1965. Cause of death was recorded as cerebral neoplasm and bronchopneumonia.

Peter Edward McMenemy & Margaret Kyrle-Fletcher

Peter and John had similar young lives, as is so often the case with twins. Peter was also evacuated to St Michaelís in Hitchin. He also joined the Navy. They even served on the same ships for while. After the cessation of hostilities in the Far East, Peter, unlike John, remained on the ships.

Peter carved out a career with Dupont, working out of Fetter Lane. In 1968 Peter married Margaret Kyrle-Fletcher. Peter continued to do well as an executive with Dupont, the pharmaceutical and textile conglomerate. They lived in Southgate when they first married, then transferred up to Market Harborough. Peter was then promoted and the family moved to Switzerland for several years.

Peter has now retired and has been very active in the local community, working with school governors and helping with fund-raising and business awareness. He is also an active member of the local choir.

Mary Angela McMenemy & Peter Guly (1925-1993)

Mary Angela (known as Angela) was born on 2nd August 1929.

In April 1958, Angela married Peter Guly. Angela was a teacher and Peter was a family doctor practising in Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire. Angela lives in Bushey Heath, helping out at the local Hospice and enjoying her evenings with a local choir.

James Michael McMenemy (1937-1971) and Gilia Leather

James Michael was born in September 1937. After his National Service in the RAF, James worked in advertising. In September 1965, James married Gilia Leather. They had several homes over the years, including the gatehouse to the Elizabethan manor at Tewin in Hertfordshire. From there they moved to a more convenient home in Hurlingham.

In an article on Michael Bungey, chief executive of the 9th biggest ad agency in the world (with homes in New York, Sydney and South of France). He says that his biggest influence was

'James McMenemy. He inspired me to set up in business on my own. He died of a brain tumour on the agency's first day'.

James died in June, 1971.

Sixth Generation

John and Eileen had two children. Andrew John was born at St Bartholomewís on 22nd February 1952. Andrew went to St Columba's College in St Albans. He married Diane Brian (1953) in August 1973. When first married they lived in Hoddesdon which was between the hospital where Diane worked and the UDT computer centre where Andy worked. They now live in Kingston Gorse, West Sussex where Andy is a consultant for IBM.

Jane Eileen was born at St John and St Elizabethís on 29th June 1955. She went to school at St Michael's Convent in North Finchley. After school and college she joined the bank as a secretary. Whilst working at their Staff Training College she met and married Trevor Petch. They live in Wokingham, and Trevor is now an Independent Financial Advisor. Jane was secretary to the local branch of the National Asthma Campaign, and Trevor helped out as a leader for the local Beaver troop.

Peter and Margaret had three children.

Mary Louise was born on19th March 1969. She married Alexander Burge in December 1997. They had been living in London Docklands for 12 years but, since  the arrival  of  their  first  son Harry Alexander (in 1999), have now moved to Turners Hill near Worth in West Sussex. Since moving there, the family has grown again with the birth of Olivier Sebastian.

Simon John was born on June 12th, 1971. He went to school at Worth Abbey. He has just been called to the Bar after completing his degree in law. He married Marie-Claire in June 1997 and started their married lives in Fulham. Subsequently, they moved to West Sussex in time for the arrival of their first son, Charles (in 1999). Simon and Marie-Claire have also added to their family with the birth of Annabel Lucy in 2001.

Nicholas Charles was born on December 17th, 1976. After completing his schooling at St Edmund's, Ware he completed his degree at St Andrew's University, reading theology. Nicholas now works in London for one of the Oil companies.

Angela and Peter had seven sons in addition to Peterís first child Bernard. Bernard was born on October 22nd, 1953.

Aidan Hugh was born 30th March 1959, and married Ann Doherty.

Damian Peter Gregory was born on 13th January 1961, and married Carol Jennings in May 1989. Damian works for Price Waterhouse and is currently living in Bracknell, though did have a temporary posting in Australia several years ago.

Sebastian Edward Francis on was born on 1st August 1962. Sebastian followed a vocation as a Jesuit at first. Whilst with the Jesuits he spent a while as a missionary Angola. He has now taken up a career in health care and is living in Yorkshire.

Christian Charles was born on 12th April 1964, and married Jackie Cooper.

Johnathan James was born on 6th December 1967, Alexander Mark on 10th May 1969, and Richard Joseph on 25th April 1972.

James and Gilia had two daughters.

Sarah Jane who was born on August 2nd, 1966. She is a successful artist and lives in London with her partner Malcolm Dixon. Sarah and Malcolm have two children, Georgia and Theo.

Sarah has a website at

Lucy Ann was born on November 6th, 1967. She earned a Masters from the Royal College of Art, and had been working at a gallery in London. She has recently changed jobs. Lucy lives with her partner Mark and they have a lovely daughter, Coral and son Leo.

Seventh Generation

1986, Andrew,Diane,Kim & Zoe.jpg (7001 bytes)(Andrew, Diane, Kim and Zoe McMenemy - 1986)

Andrew and Diane McMenemy have two daughters.

Kim Eloise was born 22nd September 1976. After leaving school and college she worked with autistic children for a couple of years. Then she took up a temporary post with IBM prior to spending time at the University of Portsmouth. She then worked as  Psychiatric Care Assistant. Kim married Neil Hardcastle, a graphics designer, on 15th July 2000 at Portsmouth Cathedral. Unfortunately, this did not last. Once single again, Kim left the UK and moved to Thailand. Living on Phi Phi Island in the Andaman Sea, she learned to dive and took her exams to become a diving instructor.

Zoe Donna was born 10th August 1978. She also went to work with autistic children after leaving college. Then she worked for a spell as the receptionist at an hotel, before joining IBM where she worked as a customer support specialist. She moved away from Hampshire and spent some time working in an employment agency before getting a job for a media intelligence company.

1997, Jane, Trevor, Mark & John.jpg (5272 bytes)(Jane, Trevor, Mark and John Petch - 1997)


Jane and Trevor Petch have two sons, John Ezra David born October 29th, 1988; and Mark James Brian born October 1st, 1991.

Mary Louise and Alex have a son Harry Alexander, born 30th Sept 1999; and a further son Olivier Sebastian, and James Benedict, born 24th August 2004..

Simon and Marie-Clare have a son Charles Edward, born 2nd August 1999; and a daughter Annabel Lucy, born 22nd November 2001.

Aidan and Ann Guly have two sons, Stephen born October 8th, 1993; and Michael Peter born November 24th, 1996.

Damian and Carol Guly have three children, Alexandra born April 20th, 1990; James born January 7th 1992; and Robert born January 5th, 1996.

Christian and Jackie Guly have two children, Bridie born August 11th, 1991; and Josie Bethan born February 26th, 1993.

Jonathan and Nichola Gully have one son, James Joseph Gully born April 28th, 2000.

Sarah McMenemy and Malcolm Dixon have a lovely daughter, Georgia born on February 9th, 1996; and son Theo.

Lucy McMenemy and her partner Mark have a lovely daughter, Coral Jean born on 7th January 2002.

Last Modified: 12/04/2009 12:15